Plymouth Gin is produced in the oldest working distillery today, with records of a malt house on the premises dating back to 1697. The building itself dates even further back to 1431, though, when it was used as a monastery by the Black Friars who were famous for their alcoholic remedies. The Plymouth Gin produced there today entered production at the distillery in 1793.
Plymouth Gin is proud to have been the official gin supplied as a daily ration to British Royal Navy, and the Plymouth Gin Navy Strength is produced in tribute to this heritage. With the deployment of the military in British India it was mixed with the anti-malarial tonic water, so it is likely Plymouth Gin was used in the creation of the Gin and Tonic.