Powers whiskey was introduced in 1791, when James Power founded the John's Lane Distillery in Dublin. Powers handed the reins to his son John in 1809 under whose guidance the distillery grew to one of the largest in Ireland. By 1871, the distillery covered an impressive 7 acres.
Today the original distillery has largely been sadly demolished, with operations relocated to the Midleton distillery. The name lives on in Powers John's Lane Release, which honours the original building and the traditional single pot whiskey style Powers became famous for.